With the introduction of Bamboo X-treme, MOSO offers a truly ecological and sustainable alternative to increasingly scarce tropical hardwood for outdoor applications. Thanks to a unique patented process, MOSO has been able to develop bamboo outdoor products that are superior to the best tropical hardwoods in terms of hardness, stability, fire safety and durability. Bamboo X-treme is suitable for various applications but is currently used particularly as a terrace board and as wall covering.
Bamboo X-treme outdoor parquet is available in:
All boards are 185 cm long and can be used on both sides.
Bamboo at the molecular level before (above) and after (below) the density-thermo treatment: first the sugar molecules are still visible, after the treatment they are gone. With this treatment, bamboo is no longer a food source for fungi and microorganisms.
Bamboo has been used outdoors for centuries. Unfortunately, many additional protective measures are required to ensure an acceptable life span. When the material dries, the surface will crack and the underlying material can easily be attacked by microorganisms and fungi, due to the high sugar content. In the country of origin (mostly in Asia) bamboo can be replaced quickly and cheaply, but in Western countries this is not an option. Would it not be great to find a way to use one of the fastest growing plants on earth as an alternative to scarce hardwood species and make the material suitable for outdoor applications?
Clips and Assembly
Cobra clip with screw
The Bamboo X-treme decking boards can be mounted with the Cobra clip. When correctly assembled, there will be a 5 to 6 mm gap between the boards. The clip comes with matching stainless steel screws (square bit). The result is an invisible mounting without sharp edges.
Maintenance and Cleaning
The surface of Bamboo X-treme in various maintenance and cleaning scenarios: weathered, dirty surface (top), weathered, cleaned surface (middle) and surface after cleaning and re-oiling (bottom).
Under the influence of wind, rain, sun (UV) and frost, terrace boards weather and the terrace becomes dirty. As a result, the boards will grey and will form splinters and cracks. WOCA has developed various maintenance products to clean and protect terraces.
- Wet the terrace well, use a garden hose if possible.
- Mix the cleaner with water in the ratio 1: 2 and apply it. If the terrace is very polluted, the cleaner can be used undiluted.
- Then clean the terrace with the silicon carbide broom or mechanically with the silicon carbide disc (see accessories).
- Scrub the decking boards in the longitudinal direction until the boards are completely clean.
- In the case of smooth decking boards, one should first scrub at an angle of 45 degrees, followed by scrubbing in the longitudinal direction. This is not necessary when using the machine with a disc.
- Repeat the above steps if necessary
- Then clean carefully with clean water
- Let the Bamboo X-treme terrace dry completely (about 24 hours). Only when the material is completely dry, the oil treatment can start.
- Only apply oil in dry weather, avoid direct sunlight and high temperatures.
- Thoroughly stir the oil. Apply an even, thin layer with a brush.
- The oil looks creamy as long as it is wet.
- After a few minutes, when the water has evaporated from the oil, the material gets its oily appearance.
- Polish the remaining oil from the decking boards after 5-10 minutes using a cotton cloth.
- Make sure that no oil remains in the grooves of the decking and on the connections.
- Repeat the above steps.
- Once the decking boards have dried, it is possible to polish the boards by hand or by machine for an even more durable and harder oil layer.
- Depending on the weather conditions, it will take 24 to 48 hours until the oil has fully cured. During this period it is necessary that the terrace is not exposed to any water.
Moso Bamboo is the alternative to tropical hardwood. Due to the rapid growth of bamboo, this is better for the environment than tropical hardwood. Because of the large amount of CO2 that the bamboo absorbs, Moso Bamboo is very good for the environment. Moso Bamboo is also very easy to recycle into other products.